Wednesday, April 13, 2011

All Things Designed

I feel very fortunate that throughout my college career I have been able to take classes that allow me to study design, good or bad. Overtime I have developed some favorites and although it may be a long list I thought I would share some. Here are just a few products, architects, buildings and furniture pieces that I love. 

First off, I have developed a love for architect Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe. I love all his work from the Bauhaus in Germany, all the way to buildings in Chicago. Perhaps his most iconic piece of work however, would be a chair. The Barcelona Chair. This is a chair that when I get my real big girl job, this will be my first purchase. Classic, functional and timeless.
Next up would be a building here in the U.S. that was highly influenced my Mies Van der Rohe. This building, The Glass House was designed by American architect Philippe Johnson. Although it would be hard to live in, I love how it seams like their is nor barrier between the walls and nature. 
Johnson studied under Mies so inside of the house his influences are very present. 
Now on to the fun stuff...
Nothing in my mind can top the work of Barcelona native, Antoni Gaudi. Much of Gaudi's work contains colors and forms unimaginable to the built world of architecture. This work,  the Casa Batlló, is so playful it just makes me want to run around in it and touch every surface, although it would be highly frowned upon to do so. 
Next up, perhaps a useless object, but never the less a dynamically entertaining juice squeezer by Philippe Stark. Stark himself gives criticism to the juicer, but its interesting design with no cord attached offers a unique interpretation on making juice, so get squeezin.
And finally, perhaps the most odd looking of all objects, Up 5 armchair, or otherwise known as "the ball and chain chair," by Gaetano Pesce. This chair offers an interesting take on the phrase, "the old ball and chain" of relationships. Ironically, this chair is extremely comfortable with its gigantic size. 


I could go on and on about designs that I love but I thought I would try to keep it short and sweet, so I hope you enjoyed!



No comments:

Post a Comment